S: Safe play all of the time. Play with control and be conscious of your surroundings.
M: Members only. Anyone who plays on your team needs to be listed on your roster. One-off substitutes must be listed on your roster or an active Nation Leagues roster.
A: Actively read through informational emails and rules every season. This will keep you up to speed on new issues.
R: Report all injuries which require medical attention and incidents if you desire official Nation Leagues investigation.
T: Talk to the other team. Together, Nation Leagues members can make a fun and safe playing environment.
NOTE: These guidelines may change periodically. Nation Leagues also reserves the right to pursue administrative courses of action that differ from what is written here in order to provide the best solution to issues that may arise.
Nation Leagues Guidelines Table of Contents:
1. Team Captain Responsibilities
2. Waivers and how to be a Sanctioned Nation Leagues Player
3. Physical or Unsportsmanlike Play
6. Incidents Which Result in Loss of Permits
7. Emergency Contact List
8. First Aid
9. Blood During Games
10. Suggested Protective Equipment
11. Reporting Injuries
12. Game Scores
13. Game Score Discrepancies
14. League Standings and Tie Break Guidelines
15. Defaulting League Games
16. Team Uniforms and Dress
17. Player Eligibility
18. Facility Care and Respect
19. Foul Weather Guidelines
22. Game Rescheduling
23. Refunds/Registration Issues
24. Contact Information
25. Double Headers
26. Team Names
27. Pooling, Skill Levels and Divisions of Play
29. Minimum Age Requirement for Players
30. Spectators at Leagues and Events
31. Game Ejections in Officiated Leagues
32. No Smoking at Playing Venues
33. Games Scheduled on Statutory and Religious Holidays
34. Parking Guidelines
35. Lost and Found
36. Conflict Resolution
1) Team Captains must:
- Know the guidelines of the Nation Leagues outlined here as well as the rules of their specific sport.
- Ensure that their teammates are aware of these guidelines and rules.
- Ensure that all teammates have a Nation Leagues profile, or have signed a waiver.
- Ensure that all required equipment is present for all games.
- Provide the Nation Leagues with a complete list of players and their contact information for their team by completing their rosters using the T.E.A.M. invitation system.
To be a sanctioned Nation Leagues player, you must be listed on a current team roster (this facilitates completing the Nation Leagues waiver and accepting the Sportsmanship and Fair Play agreement). To do this, the team captain must send the player an invitation from the T.E.A.M. system (the exception is individual registrants who complete the waiver when they sign-up). Teams that are using non-sanctioned players will default their game and may be asked to leave the leagues without refund. Please click here to read more about player eligibility.
3) Physical or Unsportsmanlike Play:
Play that is rough or overtly aggressive, taunting, or un-sportsmanlike acts (name calling, threats, intimidation and discriminatory behaviours of any kind) will not be tolerated by the Nation Leagues and may result in the infracting player/team being ejected from the league without refund.
If reports of this kind of behaviour are received, the following steps are taken:
i) First report - player or team receives a formal warning.
ii) Second report - player or team receives a second warning verbally and in writing.
iii) Third report - player or team is ejected from the league without refund and is not welcome back! Nation Leagues members that are suspended or ejected from any programs are not welcome to attend as spectators.
Unsportsmanlike play can be reported at your TEAM profile. You must complete this form to file an official complaint about the unsportsmanlike play. Only "official complaints" will be investigated by the Nation Leagues.
PLEASE NOTE: teams can and will be held responsible for their players' conduct. If someone on your squad is behaving inappropriately, it is YOUR responsibility to keep him or her from doing so.
The Nation Leagues reserves the right to skip these steps as outlined above at their sole discretion and immediately eject a team or player from the league without refund. These decisions are non-appealable and failure to comply with them may result in further punitive measures.
Instances of this behaviour will be cause for immediate expulsion for all individuals involved, whether they are the instigators or retaliating.
Drinking of alcoholic beverages at Nation Leagues facilities/venues by players or spectators (indoor or outdoor) is strictly forbidden. Offenders will be asked to leave the league without refund: no exceptions!
6) Incidents Which Result in Loss of Permits:
Any team or individual involved in any incident that results in the loss of a permit or which causes harm to the relationship between Nation Leagues and a facility may be expelled from the league without refund. Incidents can include, but are not limited to, the consumption of alcohol and/or illegal drugs at a facility, damages or vandalism to a facility (not directly resulting from the nature of sports), and abusive behaviour towards facility staff and/or Nation Leagues staff.
7) Emergency Contact List:
All team captains are advised to carry a list of emergency contact numbers for players on their team. In the event of an injury/emergency, these numbers can be utilized to notify the player's family in cases where medical treatment/attention is required. Captains are also advised to include a list of hospitals with emergency room service on this page. It will take the guesswork out of situations that are stressful and time sensitive. Click here to find the hospitals in your city.
8) First Aid:
First aid is the responsibility of the team captain. Ice packs, band aids, tensors and athletic tape are all things which can be used in the event of minor scrapes and bruises. If a Nation Leagues representative is on hand when there is an injury, we will be happy to assist in any way we can. We are not, however, responsible for providing tape for bad ankles, fingers etc. There may be a first-aid kit on-site at some venues, but please be prepared for all situations.
9) Blood During Games:
Any player who begins to bleed during a game must leave the playing area immediately. This player cannot return to the game until the bleeding has stopped and the wound has been sufficiently covered.
10) Suggested Protective Equipment:
Though not mandatory, the Nation Leagues highly recommends the use of mouth guards, eye protection, softball helmets and any other reasonable safety equipment. Mouth guards and squash/racquetball goggles can be purchased from most sporting goods stores. Softball players or teams may supply and wear their own helmets if they chose to do so in the interest of safety.
11) Reporting Injuries:
Injuries requiring further medical attention other than basic first aid must be reported to the Nation Leagues by team captains or co-captains. The injury report form is accessed from your team profile page in the schedule section. Select the game date with the relevant check box, and then select "Report Injury" from the "Options" drop down box at the bottom right hand corner of the schedule. Complete the form that appears on the next page.
It is the team captain's responsibility to report the scores from each game by noon, two (2) business days after the game. This can be accomplished by logging into to you Nation Leagues profile (click the "my profile" button above). Follow the links through to your schedule and select a game date to submit a score for. For further information, please click here. Scores that have not been approved by noon within two business day will be automatically approved. Scores listed as being "Disputed" will not be approved until the teams agree on the score. If you think a score is incorrect, please dispute it by the noon deadline or else it will be automatically approved. NOTE: For the last regular season game of the season, the deadline changes to noon, ONE (1) business day after the game. This will assist with the prompt posting of playoff schedules.
Both teams must agree on the final score. If an agreement cannot be made on the final score, then both teams will receive a default loss.
If a team plays the incorrect opponent, the score will be recorded as a tie for all teams involved. Please double check to make sure you are playing the right team prior to your game.
Discrepancies or arguments regarding scores, complaints or any other ambiguous item must be dealt with within 3 business days after the latest posting of the scores on our website for the week in question. During the final week of the regular season, any and all discrepancies must be resolved by noon the following day. Captains should ensure that the score of their game has been recorded correctly by checking the Nation Leagues website. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE OFFICE LOOKING FOR SCORES: sometimes scores are delayed in being reported, but they will always be posted as soon as they become available.
[back to top]
Wins are worth 2 points, ties are worth 1 and losses are worth 0. If a team defaults, they will lose one point. Standings can be accessed from your user profile.
To break a tie in the Final Standings:
1) Defaulted Games*
2) Head-to-head competition**
3) Head-to-head points /-
4) Head-to-head points against
5) Division points /-
6) Division points against
* If two or more teams are tied at the end of the regular season, the team(s) who defaulted the fewest games will receive the higher seed.
** The head-to-head tiebreaker is based on the regular season match-ups between two or more teams that may be tied in the standings at the end of a season. Note that head-to-head tiebreakers will not apply if three or more teams are tied and those teams did not play against each other an equal number of times.
If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular season match between the two teams will be ranked higher.
If the two teams did not play each other, tied during the regular season, or played multiple games and tied in total points from those match-ups, then the next criterion for breaking a tie will be used.
If three or more teams are tied, all games between only the tied teams during the regular season will be evaluated, and the team that has the higher total of game points from only those games will be ranked higher. This criterion can only be used if all of the tied teams played against each other during the regular season for the same number of games (i.e. Team A played Team B, Team B played Team C, and Team C played Team A). However, if the teams did not all play against each other during the regular season for the same number of games but common sense tells us one team should be ahead of others (i.e. Team A beat Teams B and C in the regular season, but Teams B and C did not play in the regular season) then in this unlikely (but still possible) situation, the Nation Leagues Admin reserves the right to use their best judgment to fairly seed the teams.
Teams that default more than 2 games may be asked to leave the league without refund. If you know you may not be able to field a full team, please call the other captain in advance; you should attend with as many people as you can and play pick up...it is the fun and polite thing to do.
Captains may agree to wave the rules regarding the minimum people but this MUST be decided before the game starts. Simple communication between team captains can clear this up quickly and easily.
- If you agree that the game will count in the standings, all players should be made aware of this decision. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS!
- If you are entitled to win by default, you must clearly discuss your intentions to do so with your opponents. You can then proceed to play for fun with both captains completely understanding that the result will not count.
- If you start to play against a team without making your intentions crystal clear to your opponents, you CANNOT claim a default retroactively.
FOR PLAYOFFS, please refer to Player Eligibility:
- Teams that use players who are not listed on a team roster may be subject to default and/or ejection from the league.
- All players participating in playoff games MUST be listed on the team roster. Defaults may occur retroactively due to incomplete rosters.
- Players must attend a minimum of 3 games in order to be eligible for playoff games. Please respect this rule. Ringers are not welcome on playoff night!
Nation Leagues will have the final ruling should teams contact the office regarding playoff defaults disputes.
- While the TEAM System allows you to select a team colour, all players should bring both a dark & light coloured shirt to all games as some teams MAY have the same colour. Always bring alternate shirts!Players should remove all watches, bracelets, necklaces, rings, earrings, etc, prior to play.
Braces and casts of any kind (knee, wrist etc.) must be covered with protective material or garment (eg. sweatpants over a knee brace or a long sleeve shirt over a wrist brace). Players who do not do this may be asked to remove the item by the other team or Event Coordinator.
- During the regular season, team captains can use ANYONE as a player for their team as long as they are listed on an active Nation Leagues team roster, or have logged into their profile within the last year. This includes adding last minute players from games just completed prior to the start of your game. When adding players in this manner, it is good sportsmanship to let your opponents know. As well, it is also sportsmanlike to only add players of the same approximate skill level. i.e. please do not add superstars to your recreational team. In compliance with the above player eligibility rule, players are able to play in multiple games on any given day (as full time or substitute players), but once a commitment is made to play for a specific team, for a specific game, that player must remain with that team for the duration of the game. A player cannot move from one team to another during the course of a game. Exception: if a team acquires a sub from another team to achieve the minimum number of players until their teammates arrive. In this scenario, that player can return to their original team, once the team is able to field a full lineup.
- Teams that use players who are not listed on a team roster (or do not have a recent profile) will be subject to default and/or ejection from the league. Our staff will be checking!
- All players participating in playoff games MUST be listed on the team roster.
- Players must attend a minimum of 3 games in order to be eligible for playoff games. Please respect this rule. Ringers are not welcome on playoff night!
- Every individual participating in a Nation Leagues program has the right to compete as a member of the gender that they identify with; regardless of their gender at birth and whether or not they have undergone any medical treatments. Example: If an individual identifies as a woman, she will count towards the minimum number of females her team is required to have on the playing surface at any given time.
Respect the schools: put things back where you found them, take all of your items with you and put trash in provided receptacles. Remember: you are in someone's work and learning environment. You would not like it if someone came in at night and left a pile of water bottles and clothing on your desk. Please be out by the hour specified on your schedule. It will either be 9:30pm or 10pm. If you abuse this, game times will be made earlier and the league could lose its permits leaving you with NO REFUND and NO GAMES. This is in your hands. Enter and exit ONLY by the specified areas. Do not wander the schools in areas other than the gyms. Showers are not provided.
Please note: Nation Leagues will contact you by email if we are notified during business hours that a venue is closed causing games to be cancelled
>> OUTDOOR LEAGUES FOUL WEATHER GUIDELINES:
- All Nation Leagues Games go ahead rain or shine (including snow or high temperatures).
- Nation Leagues will not cancel games nor reschedule games due to foul weather.
- To ensure your opponent will be attending a game during bad weather, please contact the other captain (not the Nation Leagues!). You can find the contact information for your opponents by clicking on their team name on the schedule grid inside your Nation Leagues profile page.
- Since weather predictions are often inaccurate and weather often changes by the hour, it is recommended that any decisions to cancel games due to weather/lightening should be made at the field at the designated start time.
- In the event of severe weather (electrical storms etc) games should immediately be stopped and players should take cover away from open spaces. If the severe weather passes, and both captains agree to play, the game continues. If the severe weather does not pass and BOTH captains do not agree to continue, the GAME ENDS AND THE SCORE COUNTS AS IT WAS WHEN THE GAME WAS STOPPED. NOTE: If only one captain wants to continue and the other captain does not (due to player safety), the game is over. Please note:
- Environment Canada recommends the following: "Once in a safe location, remain there for 30 minutes after the last rumble of thunder is heard before resuming your outdoor activities." (source: http://www.ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/default.asp?lang=En&n=159F8282-1)
- If a game is stopped due to foul weather, it will not be rescheduled.
Severe Wet Weather:
- Nation Leagues will contact you if we know about any park or field closures during business hours and do our best to re-route you to a new field.
- Field closures after hours are done at the discretion of the park supervisor or school staff (i.e. not Nation Leagues). In the event that this occurs, please respect the person in charge and do not play on the field.
- For all games cancelled due to official field closures (during OR after business hours), Nation Leagues will attempt to reschedule your game to a non-regular league night (this includes weekends).
- There will be no refunds or credits for field closures due to weather.
>> INDOOR LEAGUES FOUL WEATHER GUIDELINES:
WINTER WEATHER GUIDELINES
RULE: If venues remain open then games proceed as scheduled. If weather conditions cause the closure of a Nation Leagues venue, games are cancelled. Nation Leagues will contact you if this is the case.
NOTE: Regardless of the weather, ensure that your opponents will be attending your game by contacting the other captain (you do not need to contact Nation Leagues). You can find the information for your opponents in your online profile. You MUST contact your opponents if your team is not able to attend a game.
EXCEPTION: The only exception to the above rule is if Nation Leagues declares a Severe Weather Situation, based on extreme and unusual winter weather. In the event of a Severe Weather Situation where venues remain open, game standings will be recorded as ONE of the following:
- Games where both teams are able to attend and where both captains agree to play the game, the result of the game will be recorded as usual.
- Severe Weather Situation status will be used at the sole discretion of the Nation Leagues Admin Team and is not subject to debate. A decision on this status will be made at 3:00 pm on game day. Nation Leagues also reserves the right to retroactively apply the Severe Weather Situation status. (i.e. for Sunday games or games in which extreme weather is not evident by the 3 pm deadline).
- If the Nation Leagues has invoked a Severe Weather Situation, games will be scored as a 0-0 tie. i.e. no teams will be penalized for not being able to attend in a Severe Weather Conditions. Please contact your opponents if you do not plan on attending.
- You will know when we have a "Severe Weather Situation" when you see this icon in "Current News" at your Nation Leagues profile page:
- It is expected that Severe Weather Situation status will only be necessary at most once or twice per winter season. This status will NOT be applied in regular snow storms or typical winter weather.
- There will be no refunds or credits for games where venues remain open, regardless of whether you attend or not.
- Proper footwear is highly encouraged in all Nation Leagues league games.
- Metal cleats are not permitted in any Nation Leagues leagues.
- Only non-marking soles may be worn in gymnasiums
- Some facilities may have other footwear specific requests, and all Nation Leagues players must abide by them. These kinds of requests will be noted in the location descriptions accessible from your schedule/s.
- Failure to comply with Nation Leagues footwear rules may result in warnings, suspensions or ejections for the player/s or team/s involved.
Nation Leagues attempts to ensure that all venues are safe and suitable for play. The majority of Nation Leagues games are self-officiated and thus a league representative is often not present at games. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the captains and all participants to inspect the playing area prior to playing their game to ensure it is safe for play and to make their OWN decision regarding personal safety in terms of a scheduled venue, playing style and transportation to a Nation Leagues league/event.
If captains/participants/teams decide a venue is unsafe for play and thus not to play at the scheduled venue at the scheduled time for personal safety reasons, please contact the Nation Leagues office to discuss alternate arrangements and/or rescheduling of the game in question.
Cancellations, change of venues and or change of times or days may occur on short notice. Rescheduled games due to cancellations or venue disruptions may be played on a different night of the week, at a different (but comparable) venue or at a different time than originally posted.
For games where teams play the incorrect opponent will not be rescheduled. The score will be reported as a tie.
- Registration is complete only when the full payment has been received.
- Full refunds will be granted up to the registration deadline date for leagues. However, there are NO refunds (a) after the official registration deadline date or (b) once a program has filled to capacity.
- No refunds due to defaulted, cancelled or rescheduled games. No refunds due to injuries.
- A fee of $40.00 HST will be charged for NSF cheques.
- Teams or individuals suspended or ejected from Nation Leagues leagues due to any breaches of Nation Leagues Guidelines will not receive refunds.
- All registrations are filled on a first come first served basis. Registrations are only considered complete after full payment has been made for a program. If there are extenuating circumstances where the Nation Leagues cannot fulfil your registration, a league representative will be in touch as soon as possible.
- Individual Registration: Individual registrants are welcomed and encouraged to register, and all attempts will be made to place you on a team. The success rate of placing individuals on teams is very high, and it is a wonderful opportunity to meet and have fun with other people in the community. However, placement on a team is subject to available space and there are a number of factors that can impede our ability to get you playing.
- No refunds after Special Event/Tournament registration deadline OR once an event has SOLD OUT, whichever comes first.
- There will be $50 processing fee for any refund requests that occur 7 days (or fewer) prior to the Special Event/Tournament's registration deadline date.
- Team-mates and Nation Leagues staff have access to all your contact information, including your email address.
- Non-team-mates can send you messages through our TEAM messaging system - which you receive as an email - but cannot see your email address.
- If you are the captain of a team, other captains in the same pool can see your phone numbers, but not your email address. They can also use the messaging system to contact you (this does not disclose your email address). This is necessary to facilitate communication about game defaults, late arrivals etc.
- Finally, you have the option of hiding your phone numbers from any other users in the system other than ones listed above. This can be managed in the "Edit My Profile" tab in your TEAM profile.
For standings purposes, every team must play the same number of games (Note: teams entering late into a league may be excluded from this).
- If everyone in your division plays a double-header, then both games will count towards the standings.
- If some teams do not play a double-header during the season, then the first game of the double-header will count for both teams in the standings, but the second game will only count for the double-header team's opponent in the standings.
- If some, but not all, teams play more than one double-header, then for the second double-header in the schedule the first game will count for both teams in the standings, but the second game will only count for the double-header team's opponent in the standings.
- NOTE: Double-header schedules do not always work out perfectly. Sometimes a few teams (or only one team) will not have a double-header week. The net result is that some teams end up playing extra games (i.e. more games than what was originally promised during registration) while some teams simply get the exact number of games promised during registration. We will NOT compensate the teams that do not get these extra games. Similarly, we do not charge more for teams that get extra games.
Team names that contain profanity, obscenities, and any other words or sentiments considered offensive and/or inappropriate and that conflict with any Nation Leagues guidelines and/or philosophy of sportsmanship are not allowed. Teams contacted by Nation Leagues must change their team name upon request.
- Teams that finish in higher positions of a division may be moved up a level at the Nation Leagues's discretion at the end of a season.
- Teams that finish in lower positions of a division may be moved down a level at the Nation Leagues's discretion at the end of a season.
- Pools may be reshuffled mid-season if the Nation Leagues feels it is in the best interest of the majority of teams in a particular division.
- Skill levels may be combined depending on the number of participants for each skill level.
- Prizes are awarded to the first place playoff championship team of each pool.
- Prizes are given to the winning team at the seasonal awards party which is designated by the Nation Leagues for a given day, time and location.
- Teams or a team representative must be present at the awards party to receive their prizes. Teams may forfeit their prizes if they --or a team representative-- are not in attendance at the awards party. Teams that forfeit their prizing are not entitled to any other compensation, financial or otherwise.
- Prize packages, including the actual prizes or the number of prizes, are allocated at the sole discretion of the Nation Leagues. Substitutions or exchanges may not be available.
- Prize packages change with each season. Please visit our awards night page to see what the prize package is for the current season.
29) Minimum Age Requirements for Players: All players must be 19 years of age or older.
Spectators are welcome to view Nation Leagues leagues and events. Spectators are considered to be the equivalent of team members; as such, their actions are the responsibility of the team captain and each spectator must abide by all Nation Leagues rules and guidelines. Nation Leagues members that are suspended or ejected from any programs are not welcome to attend as spectators. Children also fall into the category of spectators, and any child that accompanies their parent to a game must be closely monitored at all times and may not wander around the venue or come near the playing surface. Parents must keep their children in a safe place that prevents them from interfering with the playing area and keeps them out of harm's way at all times.
31) Game Ejections in Officiated Leagues:
If a player is ejected from an officiated game (i.e. a red card in soccer, 2 technical fouls in basketball, etc.), that player receives an automatic one-game suspension. Incidents are also subject to further discipline pending review. Please note that in basketball, fouling out (5 fouls) is not considered to be an ejection.
32) No Smoking at Playing Venues:
Nation Leagues members must comply with a posted no-smoking signs at playing venues. For example, there is no smoking on any Toronto District School Board properties. Players who break no-smoking guidelines that cause loss of venues are subject to the sanctions posted here.
33) Games Scheduled on Statutory and Religious Holidays:
In general, Nation Leagues games occur when venues are open for use. This means that games can occur on statutory and religious holidays. Games that fall on religious holidays that occur on dates other than recognized statutory holidays by the federal government of Canada or the provincial government of Ontario will not be re-scheduled by Nation Leagues. Individuals and teams affected by this guidelines are absolutely free to choose not to play their games; however, Nation Leagues will not be responsible for rescheduling of games or any financial damages for teams or individuals wishing to observe their religious holidays. If you are unsure whether or not your Nation Leagues league is affected by this guidelines, please make sure to check at the sports offered page in the specific details of your program.
34) Parking Guidelines:
Parking is not guaranteed at any of our venues. If you wish to drive to a venue, it is your responsibility to park legally and obey all parking signs and laws. Nation Leagues bears no responsibility if you fail to comply with parking signs and laws. Nation Leagues is also not responsible for such things like tickets, towing, or damages such as windshields or break-ins.
35) Lost and Found:
Nation Leagues is not responsible for any items that are lost/found while onsite at game venues. If you have lost or left behind a personal item at your game please first contact the head office at email@example.com or 416-781-GAME. Please do not contact (or visit) the venues yourself. We will do our best to help you locate your item.
36) Conflict Resolution:
There may be occasions where conflicts arise during your game and we recognize it can be difficult to manage these situations. To help prevent these moments from escalating, we’ve created a step-by-step process for captains to use in the moment. Find out what actions you can take to avoid conflict.